Of all the animals of prey, man is the only sociable one.
Every one of us preys upon his neighbour, and yet we herd together.
The Beggar's Opera: John Gay

Saturday 2 October 2010

Next week - flying pigs

It's been quite a week for cliches here at the Tavern. On Monday there was an e-mail at work confirming that a planned Christmas outing to a local beer-tasting venue is to be replaced by an in-house party, thereby proving the popular theory that my employers can't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

And now, the Artful Dodger has explained why he cannot come home for the next few weekends. A keen historical re-enactor, he has secured a temporary role as assistant to a seventeenth-century urban medical practitioner.

In other words, my son has managed to get a job as a pox-doctor's clerk.

3 comments:

  1. I'm upset. I thought this was going to be an animal attack story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it cost him an arm and a leg?

    ReplyDelete
  3. MW - sorry - I'll try harder next time.

    Demetrius - the old ones are always the best! :)

    ReplyDelete

Moderation is on as I’m having some technical difficulties with Comments