Of all the animals of prey, man is the only sociable one.
Every one of us preys upon his neighbour, and yet we herd together.
The Beggar's Opera: John Gay

Thursday 14 May 2009

Eight Pointless Things....

Tagged by Ambush Predator today: having asked a passing teenager what a meme is, I now offer for your perusal eight pointless facts about myself.

1. I sing along to Queen in the car (but only when I'm alone).

2. I have never bought a National Lottery ticket.

3. I was once a New Romantic.

4. My favourite book is 'The Kraken Wakes' (John Wyndham) - witty narration, alien monsters and catastrophically rising sea levels; what more could one want?

5. I once saw a UFO - later identified as a missile test flight.

6. I recently inherited a somewhat decrepit baby grand piano.

7. I know all the words to the Spitting Image Chicken Song (despite trying to forget them for 22 years).

8. I've always wanted a long black leather coat, but, alas, I know it would look ridiculous on me.

4 comments:

  1. We get men in long black leather coats calling from time to time. They call themselves bailiffs. Now we know where to send them. Tap "Guy Mitchell Pawnshop" into Google Youtube search and play the one with the archive photo's. It is a song for our times, The Chicken Song is great but now retro. All in the best possible taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Guy Mitchell song has a charm that is the antithesis of the 'Cash Converters' stores that are springing up in my locality.

    It looks like we're in for the most vulgar recession in recorded history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a pawnshop on a corner in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,...
    And now I find I'm
    humming it again and again,
    All since yesterday Demetrius sent me a link to it
    And I can't get it out of my brain,
    I think it will drive me insane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sincere apologies, but you should worry, it has been with me now for 57 years. But it is on the beat of four, the same as ballet music. The trouble is that if you go round humming "The Nutcracker" you get some very funny looks.

    ReplyDelete

Moderation is on as I’m having some technical difficulties with Comments