Of all the animals of prey, man is the only sociable one.
Every one of us preys upon his neighbour, and yet we herd together.
The Beggar's Opera: John Gay

Thursday 10 January 2013

Pass the blogroll, old chap!

Since the regular readership of this blog could comfortably hold a cheese and wine party in a lift - perhaps we should give it a try sometime -  it's not hard to spot patterns of behaviour among the visitors.

There are several who arrive on a post from the archives - presumably having set up a link somewhere - then go on to see what I have written since their last visit.

Many of these go on to follow several links from my blogroll, incidentally providing a reassuringly satisfying endorsement of my selection. However, one visitor in particular is baffling me.

He (or she) arrives on the same archive page every time and proceeds to click on a dozen or so links to other blogs from my sidebar, then leaves without ever looking at my current post - or, for that matter, anything else I have written. This has been happening almost daily for months.

This person presumably shares my predilection for sharp and witty writing by others, yet feels no urge to peruse any of my own creative efforts. I don't know whether to be flattered by this affirmation of my good taste or piqued that my own pieces obviously don't measure up.

I'm reminded of the story told about F E Smith, the earl of Birkenhead, who was in the habit of using the lavatory at the Athenaeum Club in Pall Mall on his way to the House of Lords each morning. When a club Porter finally asked him to desist on the grounds that he was not a member, the Peer responded with a surprised, "Oh, is it a club as well?"

Of course, it doesn't matter in the least - in fact, I'm happy that my reading selection is obviously of interest to someone; that's what it's there for - but I can't help finding something slightly odd in the way this unknown visitor seems to be making a convenience of me and my blogroll.

6 comments:

  1. It isn't me! I tend to read current posts only, mainly because there is so much to read out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half a crown says it is an intern from somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's someone who doesn't understand blogs.

    They have bookmarked one of your posts and every time they go to the bookmark, you blog has not updated but all the other ones on your sidebar have.

    They think you have stopped blogging but continue to find your blogroll useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AKH/Demetrius, you may well be right that it's someone with plenty of time on their hands - or in that unique state you reach when there's a vital but uninspiring piece of work to be done.

    Bucko, I'm not so sure; he or she would have to scroll down each time past the list of recent posts, together with a clear indication that, for example, there are 4 already in 2013.

    Incidentally, all three of you regularly feature on his/her daily itinerary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, wonder what this one does? Think I come to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. I dunno then. At least (s)he has taste :-)

    ReplyDelete

Moderation is on as I’m having some technical difficulties with Comments