Of all the animals of prey, man is the only sociable one.
Every one of us preys upon his neighbour, and yet we herd together.
The Beggar's Opera: John Gay

Sunday 14 June 2015

Soundtrack Sunday: "Cut, you buggers, cut!"

I've been meaning for some time to start a series of posts on a theme; other people have done poems, music, books and films, so I thought I'd combine two of those and do film music.

Every now and then, a film achieves that perfect combination of soundtrack and story that enhances both. There are plenty to choose from, so I make no apology for selecting according to my own idiosyncratic criteria.

Obviously some of this will make no sense if you haven't seen the film but, at the least, it should provide some interesting listening for a Sunday evening.

I'm starting with one of my all-time favourite films. With a dramatic story by Kipling, a cast headed by Sean Connery and Michael Caine (with an unforgettable supporting performance by Saeed Jaffrey) and imposing scenery shot in grand style under John Huston's direction, 'The Man Who Would Be King' would have been excellent even without Maurice Jarre's accompanying score; add in the music, with its fitting blend of militarism, Victorian bombast and poignancy, and it becomes something great.

(Link to video here)


3 comments:

  1. It's probably one of those where we knew the arrangement but didn't put a name to it. Now we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A while back, there was a trend for film trailers to 'borrow' other film music - 'Dragonheart' was one such (daft film, great score) and I'm sure this one has been used that way too, though I can't remember the film...

    ReplyDelete
  3. JH, I bet you've been humming it since too - it's a persistent earworm.

    Julia, I have a feeling you're right (or something very near it, at least); it's almost as irritating as hearing the opening bars of a familiar 1980s hit - "Oooh, I like that one!" - give way to a tedious thumping beat and the contrived declamations of some self-important rapper.

    ReplyDelete

Moderation is on as I’m having some technical difficulties with Comments